The 2009 Master Tournament begins next week. It’s time to brush up on our Masters trivia. For instance, just how much do you know about the distinctive Masters green jacket? Below are just a few facts about the green jacket:
1. The green jacket originated in 1937 as a way for visitors to be able to identify members who could give them information and directions. This first jacket was made of wool and not a big hit with the club membership.
2. The jacket was first awarded to the tournament winner in 1949, to Sam Snead.
3. The winner takes the jacket home with him for one year, returning it to the club when he returns the following year. The jacket is then stored at the club and the winner may wear it when he is at the club.
4. Unless his size changes dramatically, a multiple winner will keep the same jacket.
5. It is the tournament custom that the previous year’s winner assists the new winner in donning his jacket.
(photo credit: Newscom)